Monday, December 1, 2008

Count my blessings...

Yesterday I threw a little fit because I will be doing dishes by hand for 2 weeks. Our dishwasher began spewing water and I was forced to wake Matt from his nap to check it out. He found a split hose of some sort, which has to be ordered.

This morning I woke up feeling guilty about all the things I take for granted. Not just food and clothing and a warm place to sleep, but luxuries such as dishwashers. I now intend to use handwashing dishes as an opportunity to give thanks for the many blessings in my life.

It's so easy to ignore what I don't see every day, such as homelessness and starvation. But I've noticed a lot of ungratefulness in my own children lately and it has really distressed me. I try to explain to them how much they have and about others that don't, but I don't seem to get through. They have come to expect so much.

I have realized that I need to count my blessings more often and express gratitude so much more, vocally, for what God has given me. The only way to teach my children is to live it.

"Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done. Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts." 1 Chron. 16:8,9

No comments: