Friday, January 6, 2012

Whole30 Day 4

I feel like I'm getting into a groove. I am thinking less about the things I can't have and less about food in general, which makes me so happy! I don't want food consuming my thoughts.

It is now harder to not be able to step on a scale than to not have my dark chocolate. That is some crazy scale addiction right there. It is a little exciting - build the anticipation and step on that scale in 30 days. But if the results don't speak loudly enough, I might sink into a depression! (JK)

This morning I was hungry right away, so I ate breakfast earlier than I have the last few days. Then I was hungry again before nine, so I ate some of the trail mix I made yesterday with fresh coffee.

Lets talk a tiny bit about working out. I know quite a bit about it. I've read. I know what's best and recommended in the primal world. I know I need some exercise or physical activity to be healthy and transform my body into the temple I would like. (And just to be clear, I don't have any crazy notions...I am not looking for perfection here.) But I really do hate working out. I enjoy zumba and dancing in general, but toning and weightlifting, resistance type things - I can't stand them! And these are the things I really need. I have an elliptical that is like a fifth child. We purchased the hefty Nordictrack piece of equipment over 7 years ago. It was a coat rack throughout my second pregnancy. (I was too sick and tired.) Then when #2 was 6 months old, January came around and I was ready to take a plunge. That elliptical got an hour of use almost every day. With daily movement and ediets' version of SAD, I lost 40 pounds in 4 months. That was when we were living in a tiny bush village. That elliptical has moved with us 5 times. And let me tell you, it's a chore! It's not one of those tiny little fold up numbers, it's a beast! I bet it weighs a couple hundred pounds, and there is some disassembling to be done. I really do love it.

I have done lots of other videos and programs - Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Brazillian Butt Lift, Slim in 6, 10 Minute Trainer, Callenetics, Pilates, The Firm, Kettlebell Goddess, and I'm sure there are more I am forgetting! But I get bored so easily and I am not running to get to my workout because I really don't want to do it.

So, it's like this. This Fall I was basically at the point of "I have to do something!" And it wasn't even for the fitness, it was to make me a happier, nicer, more energetic person throughout the day. I get up around five every weekday morning (in order to beat the kids) and 30 minutes is what I got. I can't workout later and I can't work out longer. So even though I know my dear elliptical is not the most efficient or best choice for working out, it is what I dreaded the least and it served the purpose. I could get the endorphins pumping, serotonin level up, listen to praise music and worship God all at the same time and I would have great days. And that is what I have stuck with. Until I started taking a medication that took away any good feelings from working out and made my butt drag all day - but that's for another story. I quit working out and then I quit the med and then we had Christmas vacation and now here I am on this challenge.

So for now I am continuing my 20 minute e. sessions, but gradually trying to create variety in them. I am also adding in one toning exercise each day. Tuesday it was kettlebell ab twists, wednesday it was pushups, thursday it was the special Callenetics hip exercises, and today I did Callenetics triceps, abs (partial) and waist stretch. I hope to add more things in (so I'm doing several a day) once I have more energy and am jumping out of bed excited that it's 5 am and time to get up. :)

PS- I really love Callanetics! I found it that first time around 7 years ago and used it ever since. It's like a combo of yoga, pilates, and ballet and out of everything I've ever done, it has by far been the most effective in visibly transforming my body. This is the DVD I got, and the only one I've ever used. Eventually, I just started doing the exercises on my own without watching the video and only doing a few a day, rather than all of them. Apparently now they've updated everything! I just discovered their website today!

Callanetics: 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours was the first exercise program to be released and is America's #1-selling exercise video! Callan was waaaayy ahead of her time with this no-impact concept of exercising. People tried it and discovered it really worked. It wasn't an advertising campaign but word-of-mouth that catapulted this video to the top of the charts. This original 60-minute break-through workout has revolutionized the exercise world and to this day is still selling as strong as ever. The exercises are deceptively simple yet amazingly powerful. See why this program is already a classic.

today's meals:
breakfast: sausage egg bake
snack: paleo trail mix

I won't be posting later, so these are the plans I have for lunch and dinner.

lunch: BAS w/ avocado, egg, olives, possibly some turkey
snack: I have a bunch of grapefruit and apples, so probably one of those with trail mix or nuts (if I even need it)
dinner: today I am boiling the turkey carcass from New Year's dinner at my mom's. she sent it home with me and there was a ton of turkey left on it. I didn't have time to deal with it so I just threw the whole pan in the freezer. I will separate the meat and stock, make a pot of soup with turkey stock, turkey, carrots, celery and seasonings. Then I will freeze the extra stock and meat. I LOVE making my own stock!

No comments: